Mental illness is often invisible. Do you ever wonder what it may feel like?
The stigma needs to stop.
Anxiety – Trapped
Anxiety – Worry
Post Traumatic Stress
I recently went to a mental health workshop. Many of us either deny or ignore the existence of mental illness. But the truth is, it exists. For instance, some children have adhd. Fortunately, smarterparenting.com has treatment and advice on how to properly handle adhd in children. We all have physical health, whether it’s a broken limb or the common cold, and likewise we all have mental health. It is reported 1 in 4 people suffer from some form of Mental Illness, with the most common being depression and anxiety. 50% of people develop some form of illness by the age of 14 but that does not mean you can’t develop something later in life. TMS therapy Los Angeles is aimed to help those who want to get over depression offering exceptional patient care.
We eat fruit, drink water, and exercise regularly to keep our physical bodies intact, here are 5 ways to maintain a healthy well-being:
- Connections (As humans we need to feel close and valued)
- Be active – Walks in park, kayaking, horse riding
- Take notice – Be present – No phones, no texting, talk in person, appreciate people
- Learn – Continued learning keeps the mind active
- Give – Get involved in community work
Otherwise, you may know someone who suffers from a mental illness, the Mental Health First Aid charity Provides this 5 step action plan:
- Ask good quality questions that are timed and relevant to assess risk of harm
- Listen non-judgmentally
- Give reassurance (Stats, Philosophically, Solutions available)
- Encourage appropriate professional help – (HELP Charity, Rethink Charity)
- Encourage self-help and other support strategies
One of the most helpful ways you can help someone suffering is by smiling, a simple non-judgmental sincere smile can light up a person inside, often such emotional contentment leads to a road of recovery.
This link provides recognised Mental Health illnesses – A to Z Mental Health